As is now traditional, the IPTC NewsCodes Working Group has released our regular update at the end of the calendar quarter.
This release includes updates to the Media Topic and Item Relation CVs.
Changes to the Media Topic vocabulary
Label and/or definition changes:
- medtop:20001304 sports award -> sports honour (definition also changed)
- medtop:20001303 sports medal -> sports medal and trophy (definition also changed)
- medtop:20001302 sports record (definition changed)
- medtop:20001104 drug use in sport (definition changed)
- medtop:20001105 drug abuse in sport: RETIRED
- medtop:20001106 drug testing in sport: RETIRED
- medtop:20001107 medical drug use in sport: RETIRED
- medtop:20001338 education policy: moved from medtop:05000000 education to medtop:20000621 government policy. This change was suggested by ABC Australia – thanks very much!
- medtop:20001360 fraternal and community group (child of medtop:20000768 communities)
- medtop:20001361 cyber warfare (child of medtop:16000000 conflict, war and peace)
- medtop:20001362 public transport (child of medtop:20000337 transport) – suggested by NTB Norway
- medtop:20001363 taxi and ride-hailing (child of medtop:20000337 transport)
- medtop:20001364 shared transport (child of medtop:20000337 transport)
The release also includes no-NN (New Norwegian) translations for the updates released in Q2 2022. Other languages were already updated over previous months.
Changes to other Controlled Vocabularies
The itemrelation CV is used in NewsML-G2 to show types of links between news items. The vocabulary now has two new terms:
- irel:translatedFromRoot: “The related resource contains the content from which this item was translated, either directly or indirectly via one or more other translations”
- irel:wasPackagedIn: “Indicates that this Item was included in the target package”
Thanks to everyone from IPTC members and users of the NewsCodes CV for suggesting terms, and to the NewsCodes and Sports Content Working Groups who helped to put this release together.