A high-level framework for the news ecosystem
Used by the world's leading news organisations
The IPTC News Architecture is a high-level framework for the news ecosystem. It defines the concepts, relationships and processes that power news creation, distribution and consumption.
Developed over 20 years by many of the world’s biggest and most prestigious news organisations, the IPTC News Architecture has stood the test of time and has proven that it can be adapted to many different news contexts – from press releases to live breaking news to interactive experiences, and everything in between.
The IPTC News Architecture (NAR) is…
- Flexible – the same basic concepts can be adapted and re-used for many different contexts and different types of news content
- Platform independent – the main standard implementing the NAR is IPTC’s NewsML-G2, implementing using XML, but all IPTC standards fit into the framework, including SportsML, ninjs (News in JSON), rNews (IPTC’s semantic web model for news), the NewsCodes and even parts of the IPTC Photo Metadata Standard.
- Progressive – the level and richness of detail can be adjusted according to users’ needs.
- Always evolving – the IPTC News Architecture Working Group continuously updates and maintains the standard, ensuring that it can support new developments in the news industry. For example, some of the latest enhancements include support for trust and credibility in news reporting, created in collaboration with The Trust Project and RSF’s Journalism Trust Initiative.
IPTC Autumn Meeting 2023 - for IPTC members
- 2 - 4 October, 2023
Photo Metadata Conference 2024 - open to the public
- Early 2024 to be confirmed
IPTC Spring Meeting 2024 - for IPTC members
- New York City, USA and online
- 15 - 17 April 2024
The IPTC is happy to announce the latest version of our guidance for mapping between photo metadata standards. Following our publication of IPTC’s rules for mapping photo metadata between IPTC, Exif and schema.org standards in 2022, the IPTC Photo Metadata Working Group has been monitoring updates in the photo metadata world. In particular, the IPTC […]