The IPTC provides a set of documentation for its NewsML standard either for the most current version as well as for previous versions as they are still in use.
Current version NewsML 1.2
- NewsML 1.2 Guidelines V 1.1 (updated July 2008)
a comprehensive documentation for users and implementers.
PDF document ~ 3 MB (zipped version, 2.2 MB)
This document is a full replacement for the "News Management Guidelines" and "Implementation Guidelines" provided previously.
- Structural overview of the DTD (as PDF): this document provides a tree-like structure of all elements specified by NewsML, ~ 20 pages.
- Internally linked structure documentation (updated July 2008) - derived from the XML-Schema (as HTML). This document provides much more details to the elements and enables the user to navigate through the NewsML structure.
- "Requirements paper" (PDF) for NewsML 1.x.
- Change log document (PDF) version 1.1 to 1.2
- Download a full NewsML 1.2 package (ZIP-file, ~ 3 MB, updated August 2004). This package contains all documentation papers as well as the specification files - for NewsML 1.2 only.
- download a full NewsML 1.x package, covering NewsML versions 1.0 - 1.2, 2.0-draft (ZIP-file, ~ 6 MB, updated August 2004). This package contains all documentation papers as well as the specification files.
- view an introduction to the file system directory tree used by IPTC for all its files (PDF)
Previous version NewsML 1.1
Previous version NewsML 1.0
see an structural overview of the DTD
Version 1.2 was released in October 2003. In 2008 a normative XML Schema was added.
The specifications and the documentation can be downloaded from the Specification and Documentation tabs in the navigation bar on the top of this page.